Residency Program - Benefits
The following are just some highlights of the benefits offered by Rutgers New Jersey Medical School. Please refer to the GME office for a more detailed description of house staff benefits.
Salary (Effective July 1, 2023)
PGY 1 - $68,271
PGY 2 - $70,988
PGY 3 - $74,982
PGY 4 - $79,361
PGY 5 - $81,469
PGY 6 - $83,569
- All residents have access to health insurance, prescription drugs plans, dental care, disability insurance and life insurance.
- An educational stipend of $1,300.00 per year is provided to each resident to be used for purchasing books, laptops, smartphones, board review books and course fees, other online educational database, and equipment such as loupes.
- A $25 meal allowance is given anytime a resident is on-call, overnight, or any shift over 12 hours.
- Each resident can take up to 4 weeks of paid vacation per year.
- Full reimbursement for conferences where you are the first author and are giving an oral presentation.
- All residents receive an employment contract that is valid for 1 year.
- The contract specifies the duration of employment, salary, training level, vacation, health benefits, liability coverage, uniforms and resident obligations.
- Residents are covered for medical liability as written in their contract during their years of employment at Rutgers NJ Medical School.
- All residents have access to the Medical Library resources in the hospital or at home, which gives them free access to otolaryngology journals and textbooks.
- Electronic Medical Records are available for both inpatient and outpatient records at University Hospital, Hackensack Hospital and at the VA at East Orange.
- Residents are provided with a 5 year curriculum as part of their didactics.
- Each rotation has a specific goals and objectives that are given and discussed with each resident prior to the start of the rotation.